Mcdonald's ex-CEO dies.
Jan 18, 2005
McDonald's ex-CEO dies of cancer at 44
SYDNEY - MCDONALD'S said Mr Charlie Bell, who stepped down as the fast-food chain's chief executive in November to focus on his battle with colorectal cancer, died yesterday morning in his hometown of Sydney.
It was at a McDonald's restaurant in Australia's largest city that Mr Bell, whose personal motto was 'Life is not a rehearsal', began his career with the chain at the age of 15.
'As we mourn his passing, I ask you to keep Charlie's family in your hearts and prayers,' said McDonald's chief executive Jim Skinner in a statement.
'And remember that in his abbreviated time on this earth, Charlie lived life to the fullest.'
Mr Bell, 44, is survived by his wife, Leonie, and daughter, Alex.
A charismatic leader who said he ate a McDonald's product on most days, he was diagnosed with colorectal cancer just weeks after being named to the company's top job in April.
He relinquished the post in November to undergo more intensive treatment.
The company's first non-American CEO, Mr Bell had succeeded Jim Cantalupo, who died suddenly of a heart attack after a little more than a year on the job.
During his nearly 30-year tenure with McDonald's, he introduced ideas such as McCafe, now the largest coffee shop brand in Australia and New Zealand.
He also oversaw the introduction of McDonald's popular 'I'm Lovin' It' global advertising campaign, which has also been credited with helping reverse lagging sales.
A brash go-getter, Mr Bell once told industry analysts that, like McDonald's founder Ray Kroc, he would ram a fire hose down any competitor's throat if he saw him drowning.
After beginning in 1976 as a part-timer at a McDonald's restaurant in Sydney, Mr Bell quickly rose through the ranks to become Australia's youngest store manager at 19, a vice-president at 27, before being named the company's president and CEO in 2002. \-- REUTERS
_______________________________________________________
He died of colorectal cancer. Please note the first paragraph that i highlighted. I thought that particular statement seem to be implying something rather significant.
A regular mcdonald junkie will cause colorectal cancer? Ha.
I suppose Reuters definitely didnt mean it the way i thought its suppose to mean...but....hmmn. I better stick to the foldover chicken from Mc for a healthier option.
Anyway, note the last 2 highlighted paragraph as well. Hmmn..i didn know he is such an admirable guy. 15 - as a part-time crew, 19 - e youngest store manager, 27 - the company's vice president and CEO at age 41! My god. I am already 21.
I rather live a longer life though....
McDonald's ex-CEO dies of cancer at 44
SYDNEY - MCDONALD'S said Mr Charlie Bell, who stepped down as the fast-food chain's chief executive in November to focus on his battle with colorectal cancer, died yesterday morning in his hometown of Sydney.
It was at a McDonald's restaurant in Australia's largest city that Mr Bell, whose personal motto was 'Life is not a rehearsal', began his career with the chain at the age of 15.
'As we mourn his passing, I ask you to keep Charlie's family in your hearts and prayers,' said McDonald's chief executive Jim Skinner in a statement.
'And remember that in his abbreviated time on this earth, Charlie lived life to the fullest.'
Mr Bell, 44, is survived by his wife, Leonie, and daughter, Alex.
A charismatic leader who said he ate a McDonald's product on most days, he was diagnosed with colorectal cancer just weeks after being named to the company's top job in April.
He relinquished the post in November to undergo more intensive treatment.
The company's first non-American CEO, Mr Bell had succeeded Jim Cantalupo, who died suddenly of a heart attack after a little more than a year on the job.
During his nearly 30-year tenure with McDonald's, he introduced ideas such as McCafe, now the largest coffee shop brand in Australia and New Zealand.
He also oversaw the introduction of McDonald's popular 'I'm Lovin' It' global advertising campaign, which has also been credited with helping reverse lagging sales.
A brash go-getter, Mr Bell once told industry analysts that, like McDonald's founder Ray Kroc, he would ram a fire hose down any competitor's throat if he saw him drowning.
After beginning in 1976 as a part-timer at a McDonald's restaurant in Sydney, Mr Bell quickly rose through the ranks to become Australia's youngest store manager at 19, a vice-president at 27, before being named the company's president and CEO in 2002. \-- REUTERS
_______________________________________________________
He died of colorectal cancer. Please note the first paragraph that i highlighted. I thought that particular statement seem to be implying something rather significant.
A regular mcdonald junkie will cause colorectal cancer? Ha.
I suppose Reuters definitely didnt mean it the way i thought its suppose to mean...but....hmmn. I better stick to the foldover chicken from Mc for a healthier option.
Anyway, note the last 2 highlighted paragraph as well. Hmmn..i didn know he is such an admirable guy. 15 - as a part-time crew, 19 - e youngest store manager, 27 - the company's vice president and CEO at age 41! My god. I am already 21.
I rather live a longer life though....



3 Comments:
Live a longer life and not wish to be someone successful like him? I'd say he probably had no regrets leaving the living. he's rich, he had a family and he lived life to the fullest. touch wood, but i'd rather live a short full life than a long empty one. what about you?
that was me. :) forgot to put my name.
Thats true. But im greedy. If im gonna have a good life, i will wanna live it longer than to have a short and fulfilling one. Well, there goes e saying, "Life is short". SO? Just live it.
Post a Comment
<< Home